There are traces of an early settlement on St. Giovanni hill as far back as the Neolithic era (III millennium BC), although the many tombs found in the area in past centuries confirm that Camerano originated as a village of huts on the top of a “gradine” in the Picene period between the IX and III centuries BC. In Roman times the settlement became less important and people left to live in the countryside. In the Middle Ages however the settlement grew again to become today’s historical centre.
Probably the early castle or fortified quarter was built on the Sassone. This urban structure was to remain more or less unchanged until the early XIXth century when new settlements like “Piana” and “Speranza” were developed together with the historical centre of the “Mediaeval Quarter”. The real building boom however was in 1940 with the growth of the population and industrial expansion; both these factors led to an extension of the urban area along Via Loretana and in the area of St. Giovanni. In the 60’s Camerano experienced an authentic economic boom during which people abandoned the countryside to create many artisan and industrial businesses in the wood and plastic industries for which Camerano is still famous all over the world.